Thursday, September 22, 2011

Tales of Yarr!

So I have been known to go pirating occasionally, and sometimes I get good fights, others I get blown up in new and sometimes hilarious ways.

This is not one of those stories.

This one goes back a little ways, I had just finished training Heavy Assault Cruisers IV, and finally gotten into a Vagabond, and I had been anxious to give it a try in a real fight.  Unfortunately, no such opportunity presented itself.

So, I decided to go can flipping with my brand new Vagabond.  I swapped out the Energy Neutralizer, for a Tech II Cloaking Device, and headed out to high sec.

I jump out, and check my D-Scan, see a couple of Hulk's, and decide to look around.  Warp to the first belt,  and there's a guy mining in a Hulk here, but no jet can. So I hopped around the belts a bit, but none of the people out there seemed to be mining into a can.

Well then... Onward to the next system!

I jumped into Freatlidur, and warped to a central planet to D-Scan.  I saw quite a few Hulks out there, but only a couple of jet cans.

Alright, looks promising so far...

I land in a belt, with a Hulk mining into a jet can about 60km off.  I burn over towards him with my MWD.  Jeez the Vagabond is fast, covered the 60km in several seconds as I approached the can.  I quickly dropped my own can and scooped his minerals over to it.  The Hulk immediately warped off.

So I started burning away from the can, and hit my cloak when I got to about 20km off.  Aligned my ship to the can, and waited patiently.  After about five minutes, I started to get bored of sitting there, and wanted to go find some other less invisible target, but I stayed put.   Man, I am glad I did.  So fast forward to about 15 minutes later,  I know it was at least 15 minutes, my aggression timer had expired. I am just getting ready to take off, and in warps... An Orca!

He has my full attention now, as he lazily slow boats over to the jet can, and as he gets in transfer range, I decloak.  He grabs the can and starts to align, and I overheat my MWD and slam my brand new Vagabond right into the side of his Orca, I was spamming the target lock, waiting for the sensor recalbration timer to expire.

Those six seconds seemed to take forever, but finally I got him locked and pointed.

I hit my guns, and start orbiting him at 17km.  I am slowly burning my way through his shields, and he launches Hammerhead II's and sends them after me.  I manage to keep them off me for a while by pulsing my MWD, but I am starting to run dangerously low on cap, and his drones soon began making headway through my shields.

By this point he is at about three quarters armor, and I am just hitting my peak recharge on my shields.  I start wondering if I am going to be able to pull this off, and decide to try to ransom him and save myself the risk of losing the kill.  So I try to convo him, and I get the popup that he is "offline or unavailable". This fool tried to logoffski.  No ransom for him!  I bring my concentration back to the task at hand, overheat my guns, and try to get through this guys armor.   My shields are at about 10%, and they won't last much longer. He is just hitting 1/3 armor.

At this point, it could no longer be a solo kill, so I started calling for help in corp chat,  and two of my buddies jumped out and headed over.  I was starting to take armor damage, so I told them to hurry up!  The Orca is almost in structure and I am about half armor when they finally land on grid with us, and we finish him off in short order.

http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=12467932

Awesome first kill for my brand new Vagabond.  After we post the mail, we notice that it was a double kill! He had a Muninn in his ship bay of the Orca.  Ouch.

2 comments:

  1. Is there any reason you didn't just shoot the drones down? With a pulse of the MWD per drone they'd drop very very fast and you could go back to work on the Orca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a bit over excited and just focused on killing the Orca. I underestimated how long it would take to kill him, and didn't think to switch to shooting down drones at the time.

    ReplyDelete